Sunday 21 September 2008

Looking for the 10 Commandments of Twitter..have you seen them!

I have been reading a book called the "Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell. In it he describes how trends go from ideas to epidemics, its a great book and well worth a read if you get a chance. 

One of the ideas that he throws out is the concept of "150" max for a social group. He says that if a crowd becomes bigger than this then it stops functioning due to the complexity. I am currently following around 140 people on Twitter and I am now starting to struggle, yet not all of them are active.

If I had 140 active uses I would probably sink under all the tweets, therfore this week I am going to investigate my Twitter crowd and hopefully next week I will have a meaning full post on the subject.

My aim is to find out, if anyone else has posted anything regarding guidelines on Twitter usage, and hopefully create a 10 commandments of Twitter post. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

4 comments:

Drusy said...

Yeah, I understand. I'm following 64 and sometimes there's lots chatter between people that I don't know what they're talking about. I find myself having to scroll back a long way to make sure I have not missed tweets from people I do know. Yet, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings that have asked to follow me, so I follow them too if they don't have hundreds of others they're following.

Anonymous said...

1 simple Rule with Twitter ...above all else dont forget to post what your doing right now...its amazing how many people forget this!

Anonymous said...

Check out the twitterhandbook.com for all sorts of tips on using Twitter

NB said...

I just posted about this recently (on Twitter). I'm thinking I'll follow 100 people max. Same with Facebook friends. It might be a worthwhile exercise to purge people once in a while....Sounds horrible, I know. Mostly those who NEVER post anything or those you have nothing in common with. Yes, its a bit harsh, but we are talking about people you've never met for the most part and if you have nothing in common what's the point of following them?